With the departure of Deco and Joe Cole, Chelsea lost its midfield creativity. Our game became predictable; it became easy for smaller teams like Birmingham, Sunderland and Wolves to get a result against us.
In the end, our lack of creativity prevented us from winning a single trophy.
It seems our club’s management finally got the message; we are in the market for creative players, since the end of the season we have been linked with Ganso, Sneijder, Adel Taarabt, Modric and many more.
It seems Modric is our management’s choice given we already made a £22m bid for him that Spurs rejected and according to SkySports, our club will return with an improved offer for Modric.
Modric will be a very good buy for the following reasons:
1. He is a technically gifted midfielder with eagle eye vision.
2. Modric is not a player with great assist stats like Lamps; Modric focuses on creating the chances that players like Lamps turn into assists for strikers. With Modric at Chelsea, Lamps will be free to be Lamps.
3. He is young at 25, quick and full of stamina. Given our midfield sometimes moves at snail pace, he will bring energy into our midfield as Ramires did last season.
4. He will come cheaper (transfer + wages) than many of the creative midfielders currently linked with our club.
5. He has Premier League and Champions League experience.